0161 401 1234


Landlord FAQs

To make things easier for you, we’ve put together a list some of the most frequently asked questions by our landlords. If you can’t find the answers you are looking for here, please get in touch and we’ll be happy to help.

I want to let my property in Manchester. Where do I begin?

Firstly, you will need to check with your mortgage lender to ensure there is a provision to let your property under the terms and conditions of the mortgage, as well as checking whether they will impose any special conditions. If you are purchasing a property with a view to letting it out, any mortgage you secure should be a buy to let mortgage, which would not require any further consent from the lender.

Do I need to inform my mortgage lender?

Only if you do not have a buy to let mortgage. Please see previous question.

How much will it cost to let my property?

The best way to determine this, is to talk to us about the level of support you require. We offer different levels of service that range from simply helping you to find a tenant, to fully managing the property for you. The fees we charge reflect this.

Why should I use a managing agent?

Using a managing agent allows you to completely step back from the process and relax in the knowledge that your property is being let and looked after for you. It prevents you from having to deal with things like rent arrears or deposit disputes and enables you to keep a professional distance between yourself and your tenant.

What happens to my tenant’s deposit?

By law, landlords and letting agents are required to register their tenants’ deposits with a government approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. We register this on your behalf, and the deposit is then either held by the landlord, the agent or the deposit scheme itself. The Tenancy Deposit Scheme protects the tenant’s deposit and helps to resolve any disputes at the end of the tenancy.

Why should I have an inventory?

By compiling a detailed list of the contents and the condition of your property, before the tenant moves in, there will be a record on file in case of any future dispute over damage at the end of the tenancy.

Why do I need an EPC?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a report detailing the energy efficiency of a property. It gives an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years. It is a legal requirement for all landlords to provide a valid EPC before they begin advertising their property for rent. If a property has an energy rating of F or below, the property cannot be let.

What are my obligations surrounding gas?

A Gas Safety Record (GSR) must be in place for all rented properties with a gas supply, to ensure that all gas appliances, pipes and flues are in safe working order. This must be carried out by a qualified Gas Safe Register engineer and needs to be renewed every 12 months.

Do I need to get my electrical appliances tested?

It is a legal requirement that any electrical devices within the property are safe for use. To ensure you are compliant, we recommend you carry out a Portable Appliance Test (PAT) by a qualified electrician.

How do I check if my furniture is compliant?

Compliant furniture will have standard labels detailing that it is compliant. These must be displayed in a prominent position. It is a legal requirement that all furnishings comply with regulations to reduce the risk of fire within the property.

How will I be paid my rental income?

If you choose our Rent Collect service or either one of our Fully Managed services, we’ll arrange for the tenant to pay the rent via standing order to us and we will then transfer the money to your account minus our commission and any outgoings or fees (such as maintenance work). You will receive a fully itemised statement every month.

Is my money safe with a letting agent?

As an accredited agent, your money is completely protected with us. Please visit our accreditations page, to see the full list of our accreditations.

Do I need to be present for viewings?

No, you do not need to be present at viewings, as we can conduct assisted viewings on your behalf.

Can I enter my property during the tenancy?

Yes, you can enter your property, but you’ll need to give the tenant appropriate notice before doing so.

Who is responsible for repairs and maintenance?

The landlord is responsible for maintaining the property in a good state of repair. The landlord will either take care of this directly or do so via a letting agent. If the tenant causes damage to the property, they are expected to cover the cost of repair or it will be deducted from the deposit at the end of the tenancy

Who is responsible to pay the council tax?

Once your property is rented, the tenant is responsible for the payment of council tax, but this needs to be clearly stated in the tenancy agreement. While the property is standing empty or vacant, it is the landlord’s responsibility to pay.

Who is responsible to pay the TV licence?

Unless agreed otherwise, this is the responsibility of the tenant. This should be stated in the tenancy agreement.

What is a routine visit?

Following appropriate notice, the landlord or the letting agent will visit the property to ensure that it is being looked after and to conduct a visual check for any potential maintenance issues. Following an inspection, we’ll provide a report of the visit to the landlord.

What if the tenant damages the property?

The tenant should pay to fix the damage, or the cost for any repairs will be deducted from their security deposit at the end of the tenancy, with the agreement of both parties. If an agreement cannot be reached, then the Tenancy Deposit Scheme will independently examine the case and make the final decision. It is for this reason, that we highly recommend a detailed inventory and schedule of condition is prepared, prior to the tenancy beginning. Fair wear and tear should be allowed for.

What if the tenant doesn’t pay the rent?

It is advisable to insure yourself against non-payment of rent. Edward Carter Properties offer a Rent Guarantee insurance that can protect you if your tenant stops paying the rent. If you are signing up to our Fully Managed & Guaranteed Rent service, a Rent Guarantee & Legal Cover insurance policy is included as standard.

What if I want to get my tenant out?

If your tenant refuses to leave the property, then legal action will be necessary. Rent Guarantee insurance can cover legal fees including any legal costs arising from regaining possession of your property from a tenant (providing they are in rental arrears).

Do you offer a Rent Guarantee?

Yes, we can offer a Rent Guarantee insurance. Please see our Additional Services page for further details. If you are signed up to our Full Managed & Guaranteed Rent service, a Rent Guarantee & Legal Cover insurance policy is included as standard.

How can I book a valuation?

To book a valuation, simply call us on 0161 401 1234 or book online.

FREE Instant Online Valuation

Find Out More

What our clients say

Read All Testimonials

FREE Instant Online Valuation