0161 401 1234


Tenants FAQs

To make things easier for you, we’ve put together a list some of the most frequently asked questions by our tenants. If you can’t find the answers you are looking for here, please get in touch and we’ll be happy to help.

I need to find a place to rent in Manchester. Where do I begin?

Before you start looking at individual properties, we would advise that you work out what your realistic monthly rental budget is. Subtract your outgoings from your earnings to determine what money you have left at the end of the month, and then consider how much of this you are happy to spend on rent. Remember that there will be other costs involved with renting a property, such as moving costs, deposits, household bills and general living expenses.

I’ve found a place I want to rent. What’s next?

If you have not physically viewed the property, then be sure to do so. If you are then happy to proceed, you can contact us to secure the property with a holding deposit and we will begin agreeing terms between you and the landlord. Following this, we will initiate the referencing process to ensure you’re financially stable enough to rent the property.

Why do I need to be referenced?

The landlord needs to ensure that their tenant will be able to pay the rent on a monthly basis and that their property will be taken care of.

What does referencing involve?

When you apply to be a tenant you will need to give details of your employer and income, as well as your previous address, landlord and bank details. These will be checked to ensure that you are able to make the monthly rental payments.

Do I need to show ID?

It is standard practice for you to be asked for ID as part of the referencing process, in order to satisfy Right to Rent legislation. This is simply so that we can confirm that a tenant is who they say they are. We will need to see a proof of residency (such as a recent utility or council tax bill) and proof of ID (passport or driving licence) for all individual proposed tenants.

What if there are problems with my reference?

In some instances, a tenant may not be approved to rent immediately following their referencing. This could be the case if you do not have a regular income, or if you have no previous renting history. In these cases, there are still options. With the landlord’s agreement, you could pay the rent for the full term upfront or seek out a guarantor to assure your rental payments.

What is a guarantor?

A guarantor (usually a parent or guardian) may be required if a tenant is not fully approved by the referencing process. This person is committing to support the tenant and will agree to take responsibility for the rent if the tenant fails to pay. Guarantors are also responsible for paying any rent arrears (if the tenant does not pay) and for any damages costing more than the deposit amount held.

What does a guarantor need to do?

Guarantors are usually required to be employed and a UK resident. They will need to go through the same referencing process as they would if they were the tenant and must have sufficient earnings to cover the rental income, in the event that the tenant is unable to pay.

Why does my guarantor have to guarantee all tenants?

Under the tenancy agreement, all tenants are jointly responsible for the total rent amount. It is not possible to apportion individual share of the rent. The guarantor therefore has the same responsibility.

Why do I have to pay a deposit?

A deposit is held to ensure that any damages (over and above fair wear and tear) can be corrected at the end of the tenancy.

Is there a deposit alternative?

Yes, we offer a nil deposit option on some properties. You can find details of this on our Additional Services page.

What will happen to my deposit?

Your deposit will be registered with an approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. They are an independent body acting on behalf of both the tenant and the landlord. You will receive details of the scheme, explaining where your deposit is held.

What does a Tenancy Deposit Scheme do?

A Tenancy Deposit Scheme protects your deposit and can help if there is a dispute around the deposit at the end of the tenancy.

What is an inspection?

Your landlord or letting agent will schedule regular visits to the property to make sure that it is being looked after and to address any maintenance issues that may have arisen. Appropriate notice will be provided to the tenant before any scheduled visits are carried out.

Who is responsible for repairs and maintenance?

The landlord is responsible for maintaining the property in a good state of repair. They will either take care of this directly or do so via a letting agent. If the tenant causes damage to the property, they are expected to cover the cost of putting this right. Failure to do so, will mean the cost of repair will be deducted from the deposit at the end of the tenancy.

Can I decorate or make changes to the property?

This is at the sole discretion of the landlord and should only be carried out with their express permission. We recommend receiving this permission in writing.

What if the landlord isn’t keeping to their side of the agreement?

The first thing the tenant should do is speak to their letting agent. The letting agent has a duty of care to the tenant and may be able to help to resolve any issues. Alternatively, a tenant can seek independent advice from The Citizens Advice Bureau.

When can my landlord enter the property?

A landlord or letting agency has to give the tenant reasonable notice before entering the property, unless it’s an emergency.

What if I can’t pay my rent?

If you are unable to pay your rent, please speak to your landlord or letting agent as soon as possible, before allowing arrears to pile up and become unmanageable. It may be possible to reschedule your payments. Getting insured against sickness and unemployment to keep yourself protected can also offer peace of mind.

FREE Instant Online Valuation

Find Out More

What our clients say

Read All Testimonials

FREE Instant Online Valuation